Credits and references
Sincere thanks go out to everyone who has helped create the content for our website. In particular, Philip Plummer, Fiona Merrick, Jerry Crowley, Gordon Turpin and Maggie Pyne for sharing their stories and knowledge of the area. And to HRA members and committee whose donations of time and money help to maintain this website.
We'd also like to thank The Stow Brothers
for sponsoring this website and contributing to its upkeep.
Several books, documents and websites have been referenced to write a history of The Highams Estate. There are links to them throughout this website, but here is a list for reference.
- A Brief History of Courtenay Warner & Warner Estate, by Philip C. Plummer & Walter H. Bowyer (2000) Published by Walthamstow Historical Society ISBN 0 85480 051 4. This book is available to purchase from HRA. Email us to order a copy
- A History of Highams Park & Hale End, by M.L. Dunhill (2005) Published by Phillimore & Co. Ltd ISBN 1 86077 333 8
- Suburbanisation in Metropolitan Essex: The Interrupted Development of a Repton Park at Highams, by John M. Hall and Ray Hall (1986) Published in The London Journal
A Review of Metropolitan Society Past and Present Volume 12, 1986 - Issue 1. An excerpt can be found online: www. tandfonline.com/d oi/abs/10.1179/ ldn.19184.108.40.206
- The Victoria History of the County of Essex, by Doubleday, H.A. (2008) Published by Boydell Press and University of London Institute of Historical Research. ISBN 978 0 71290 774 3
- Epping Forest then and now: an anthology, by Winston G. Ramsey, Reginald L. Fowkes (1986) Published by London: Battle of Britain Prints International. ISBN 0 900913 39 8
- National Library of Scotland website (for historical maps): www.nls.uk
- Highams Park Portal website (for more historical facts about Highams Park and Humphry's Cafe): www.higham spark.london
- Epping Forest Forum website, for this article about life in the prefabs in Highams Park: eppingforestforum.com /the-highams-park-prefab-estate
- Old Chingford Facebook group, where you'll find historical photos of the surrounding area: www.facebook.com /oldchingford/
- The History of Highams Park from 700 to 1910: a talk by Sandeep Christian of Highams Park Society (video): youtu.be /RQTs9Arp6GM
- The Lords of the Manor of Higham Bensted: a talk by Sandeep Christian of Highams Park Society (video): youtu.be /2AGVj_odijo
- Walthamstow: Introduction and domestic buildings, from British History Online (website): british-history.ac.uk/vch/ essex/vol6/pp240-250
- 90 years on, Woodford County High School – A historical compilation (PDF) accessed from Woodford County High School for Girls (website): bit.ly/3jQ68xu
- Highams Area of Special Character leaflet (PDF) accessed from London Borough of Waltham Forest's website: bit.ly/3WPUS2E
- There are many references from Wikipedia, which are linked in-situ throughout this website. Not least the entry about The Highams Estate, first written by HRA in 2020.