Highams Residents’ Association was founded to represent the residents of The Highams Estate.

The Highams Estate

The Highams Estate is an Area of Special Character, covered by an Article 4 directive to protect its distinctive architecture.

Mostly developed during the 1930s, The Estate is located around The Highams Park,  built within the former grounds of "Highams" house, now Woodford County High School for Girls.

History

The Highams Estate was built within the former grounds of "Highams", a house built for the Lord of the Manor of Higham Bensted in 1768.

Learn More

Development

Most of The Highams Estate was built during the 1930s. Plans were drawn up for a much larger development, but economic and geopolitical events meant that The Estate ended up smaller, and took longer to complete.

Learn More

Architecture

The quality and distinctive design of the architecture used contributes significantly to the character of The Highams Estate. This was recognised by Waltham Forest Council when it was granted Area of Special Character status in 1988.

Learn More
Photo of 19 Crealock Grove, AKA Pepperpots, on the Highams Estate

About Highams Residents' Association

Formed in 1955, Highams Residents' Association was created to prevent indiscriminate development of The Estate and preserve its character for future generations of residents.

Learn More